Monday, August 27, 2012
Friday, August 24, 2012
Phil Ivey Poker Face
Full Tilt Poker did a series of commercials about poker players with the best poker faces. Phil Ivey was clearly the obvious choice based on his stone face expressions at the table. Interestingly enough, Ivey and his wife are no longer together. Makes you wonder if this commercial was a bit of foreshadowing on their relationship.
PokerRoom - Act According to Position
Another great commercial from PokerRoom.com reminds poker players that they should always act according to their position. Granted, I think that this commercial was actually made for female poker players.
Don't Suck Out on Sasquatch
This commercial was for the 2010 WSOP coverage on ESPN and featured a heads-up confrontation between Phil Hellmuth and Sasquatch of Jack Link's Beef Jerky fame. Hellmuth called an all-in from Sasquatch and discovered he ran pocket kings into pocket aces. I'll let you watch the video to see the rest.
Party Poker - Intellectual Bad Poker Face
Party Poker put out a series of "bad poker face" commercials a few years ago but this one where the "brainy girl" dumps her boyfriend for someone "more on her level" was among the best. You will see why.
Wednesday, August 22, 2012
- Climate change driving fish south (bigpondnews.com)
- Coming Soon: Protected Paradise Eyes and Face Compacts (bellasugar.com)
- Adaptation focus: How ecosystem based solutions are bearing fruit in Xai Xai, Mozambique (rtcc.org)
- Sustainable fish is the healthiest fish - but it's still not that simple! (nyrnaturalnews.com)
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Declares Open Season on Lionfish (blogs.browardpalmbeach.com)
- Birth Control for Men in Trials (theroot.com)
- Canadian doctors want Ottawa to pay for birth control (cbc.ca)
- Finally, the promise of male birth control in a pill (eurekalert.org)
- A bill that would take away your birth-control coverage (womensphilanthropy.typepad.com)
Friday, August 17, 2012
Enjoy, and tell me what you think the in comments below.
- 25 Surprisingly Clever Facebook Timeline Covers (list25.com)
- Face It! These 12 Creative Facebook Timeline Covers Are Worth Copying (weburbanist.com)
- 18 Creative Examples of Facebook Timeline Covers for Brands (amsterdamprinting.com)
- Facebook Timeline Is Coming to Brand Pages ... and We Love It! (blogs.constantcontact.com)
- Facebook Will Change Your Profile to Timeline This Fall, Like It or Not [Facebook] (gizmodo.com)
Thursday, August 16, 2012
In this article, I would like to give my readers a brief review of the Powow Text Messaging Software from Android. I downloaded the software a couple of days ago, and I have been using it ever since. My thoughts are below.
The first thing that I notice about the software is that the interface is both colorful and clean. This is a nice improvement from the texting software that comes standard on my phone, where everything is white and on the same level. With Powow, the interface breaks up messages into various colored bubbles, so that it's much easier to keep track of long conversations. I have included a screen shot of this feature below.
For me, the coolest thing about Powow is not the interface; it's the fact that you can easily send out a text to multiple users at the same time. Using the built-in texting software, I am not even sure if this is possible, let alone do I know how to do it. With the Powow software, you just have to click one of the buttons in the upper right hand corner of the screen (see above). It's pretty intuitive.
So, if you do a lot of texting on your phone and you're looking for software to enhance the experience, I would recommend downloading Powow. Even if you're not that big of a texter, the better interface and some added capabilities versus standard texting software should be a major selling point in favor of Powow.
If you do decide to download the software, leave your comments below and tell me what you think.
P.S. Readers: you should thank me for providing a screen shot. It turns out that taking a shot on an Android phone is not at all a trivial task. Basically, you have to download the Android SDK, plug your phone into your computer, and then do a screen capture via the SDK debugging software. If you want more information, just do a Google search on the subject.
P.P.S. Download Powow!
Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Jealousy head shot -- jogger style.
- Jogger safety: How to fend off attacker (kfor.com)
- Jogger dies as power cable falls (bbc.co.uk)
- Joggers more likely to need a facelift, US surgeon claims (mya.co.uk)
The story is shown below:
- 4chan strikes again; trolls Pepsi "Dub the Dew" campaign (neowin.net)
- Mountain Dew Naming Campaign Melts Down After Online Hijacking (huffingtonpost.com)
- 4chan Shuts Down Mountain Dew Naming Contest After "Hitler did nothing wrong" Gets Most Votes (manolith.com)
- What Is 9gag and Why Is It Being Blamed for the Colorado Shooting? [Dark Knight Shooting] (gawker.com)
Kristen Stewart really is just that bad on an actress.
- Teen Choice Awards: Kristen Stewart (fabsugar.com)
- Jon Stewart Alludes to Kristen Stewart During Robert Pattinson Interview (celebs.gather.com)
- Kristen Stewart Is 'Mysterious' & 'Uncontrollable,' Says Balenciaga's Creative Director (hollywoodlife.com)
Sunday, August 12, 2012
I think the sheep likes you, kitty.
- Lolcats: The Underground Railroad Rescued Kitty Network (cheezburger.com)
- Construction of Meowhaus, a shelter for special needs kitties underway in N.Y. (mnn.com)
- Creating With Cats: The Fake Kitty, and Something New (thecreativecat.net)
- Here's Looking at You, Kitty (slate.com)
Did you watch Wishbone as a kid?
|Wishbone: Robin Hood|
Saturday, August 11, 2012
|Gabby Douglas -- not pregnant at 16|
- Gabby Douglas Pictures - U.S. Female Gymnast (everyjoe.com)
- Gabby Douglas (mirandameeks.blogspot.com)
- The champion! Gabby Douglas soars to all-around gold at London Olympics (bazaardaily.com)
- Gabby Douglas Poses with Team USA's All-Around Gymnastics Champions (people.com)
Friday, August 10, 2012
- Anchorman Sequel...In Space? (mrmovietimes.com)
- 'Anchorman' Actor Caught With Pants Down, Arrested (huffingtonpost.com)
- 'Anchorman' Star Fred Willard Arrested for Exposing Himself (celebs.gather.com)
- Judd Apatow: Christina Applegate Will Be Back For Anchorman 2! (perezhilton.com)
Thursday, August 9, 2012
Gay Community: Stop letting yourselves get walked on like this! Stop letting the haters and Christians steer the debate. It's okay to be gay, and you don't need to appeal to your genes to justify it. Let me explain.
See, the whole debate about being gay has broken down into two camps in the United States. On the one side, you have the Christians who are complaining that homosexuality has broken one the laws of their god and of the Christian Bible. Beyond the idea that a god capable of the mass-murder (if you believe the Bible literally) of everyone in the world except for eight people has no moral authority to condemn anything, should the god in question be the one acting against the gay people if he's offended by it? I mean, if the Christian god is really so upset by people having homosexual sex, then let him start throwing lightning bolts at the gay people himself. He doesn't need a bunch of slack-jawed redneck yokels to do his job for him.
However, there is a problem on the other side as well. For some reason, the main argument from the gay community on the issue seems to be, "Look, we were born this way and we can't help being gay." While there is a growing body of scientific evidence to support this, I think this sells the gay position short. In my mind, who cares if gays were born that way or not?
People who practice any other kind of sex don't need to justify their actions. You can have a good religious couple who does all sorts of kinky crap in the bedroom (think 50 Shades of Grey), and they don't have to justify to anyone that their sexual proclivities come as a result of their genetics. I don't think I've ever heard someone who is into BDSM say, "Well, I only like it because I was born this way." They like it because ... well ... it gets them off. And, that's perfectly fine.
Similarly with gays, I know that there are people who are born that way, who are genuinely not attracted to the same sex. But, why can't there be other gay people who just enjoy that kind of sex? Personally, as a heterosexual male, I don't see the allure. However, I don't see the allure of 50 Shades either. I wouldn't want to get beaten during sex. But, hey, more power to the people who do like that.
So, gay people, next time you have the debate, say something like, "Sure, I was born this way ... but I also do it because I enjoy it. And, there's nothing wrong with that."
- Pew: Democrats and Independents Support Gay Marriage (themoderatevoice.com)
- When People Care More About a Chicken Sandwich Than Your Rights (patheos.com)
- Is the gay community declaring war against Christianity? (themadjewess.com)
- America is in danger because gay people on TV are too nice (dailykos.com)
- Man with Bible threatens to rape woman during 'Gay Day' in Michigan (rawstory.com)
- 'Louie': Uncomfortable Post-Coital Moments (huffingtonpost.com)
- LOUIE TODAY: Covelli Centre, Fat Sex and Kalliope Barlis (vindy.com)
- Why 'Louie' Is So Excellent - And Why It's Getting Better Faster Than Other Shows (thinkprogress.org)
- Louis and Louie: Masculinity, Continuity, and the Thin Line Between Fact and Fiction (theairspace.net)
- Re-Adjusting My Sexy Goggles (bigthink.com)
- Fab Sexy Cool (fabsugar.com)
- Olympic Heat: The Top 10 Sexiest Male Olympic Athletes (bilerico.com)
- 5 Sexy Things about the London Olympics (saltyrunning.com)
Share your thoughts on who makes the better super hero/god below.
- Pre-order Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, get G1 Optimus Prime (joystiq.com)
- 'Transformers: Fall of Cybertron' Pre-Order Bonus Offers G1 Optimus Prime and More! (multiplayerblog.mtv.com)
- You've Got The Power: Watch Retro Optimus Prime Kick Some Ass in "Transformers: Fall of Cybertron" (complex.com)
- Cool Transformers Cake (betweenthepagesblog.typepad.com)
In any case, real or not, it's still funny.
- Two robbers killed in Lahore fire exchange (nation.com.pk)
- While you were sleeping: Would-be robber turned away by gas station attendant (jacksonville.com)
- its the 'Taken 2′ trailer (wwtdd.com)
- The Best Revenge Is Success (theroot.com)
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
What kind of price would you fetch at auction?
This is why the Bible is messed up.
- Megyn Kelly suggests Bible prohibits mixed-race marriages (wnd.com)
- Chicken Little (melsbigandtall.wordpress.com)
- I am your slave (lachicalove.wordpress.com)
- Foreskin Hunting (duanegraham.wordpress.com)
While I have no way of knowing who actually wrote the letter and if it was ever sent to Dr. Laura, the text of the letter itself is quite interesting.
Dear Dr. Laura:
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.
1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
Your adoring fan,
James M. Kauffman,
Ed.D. Professor Emeritus,
Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education University of Virginia
P.S. (It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian.)
I would also like to own a Canadian, good sir. Perhaps we can travel to Canada to purchase one together?
- "Dear Dr. Laura" is making the rounds again (doug-johnson.squarespace.com)
- Confession: I love Jesus and "The Gays" (browneyedamazon.com)
- why i support same sex marriage (chrisrayhons.wordpress.com)
- Introducing Career Streams into Academic Research (pharmaceuticalintelligence.com)
- Dr. Susan vs. Dr. Laura: Can girlfriends pay bills? (persephonemagazine.com)
- Deleted Scenes from THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Explains Bane's Backstory (collider.com)
- The Dark Knight - Bane Origins Deleted From Dark Knight Rises (contactmusic.com)
- Must Watch: Bane 7 Years After THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (geektyrant.com)
- Crazy Expensive Batman and Bane Diesel Watches (geektyrant.com)
- Trolling the Trolls (community.tradeking.com)
- Trolling to Get Faster Answers in the World of Linux? (techie-buzz.com)
- @Digg founder @KevinRose trolls Reddit, does an AMA, then goes to Alcatraz (techi.com)
- How To Find And Engage Your Community On Reddit (koozai.com)
- Five Must-Have Toys for Your Cat Life With Cats Just Got Easier! (catster.com)
- Help your feline stay fit and healthy (supersavingstoday.com)
- Jakks Pacific to Launch Nyan Cat Plush Toys (shoppingblog.com)
|Kitten: Muffin Stealing Whore!|
- Banana Muffin Recipes by Chiquita (chiquitabananas.com)
- Muffin Monday! (loveaatr.wordpress.com)
- Review: Betty Crocker Cocoa Puffs & Reese's Puffs Muffin Mixes (thesmartcookiecook.com)
- Sometimes Hedge Fund Associates Would Rather Bake Muffins (observer.com)
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
You wouldn't want that, would you?
- The Ultimate Cute Kitty Video: A Cat Kaleidoscope Eases a Girl's Cancer Ordeal (healthland.time.com)
- [BIG BANG] G-Dragon and a Kitten share a cute moment (koreanupdates.com)
- Famous 'Star Wars' Scenes Redone With Cats (icanhascheezburger.com)
- And Her Little Cats Too (memebase.com)
|Mitt Romney Tax Returns|
- Surprise! Harry Reid Refuses to Release His Tax Returns (townhall.com)
- Another Republican Says Mitt Romney Needs To Release More Tax Returns (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Will The Media Force Mitt Romney To Release More Tax Returns? (crooksandliars.com)
- McFeatters: Mitt Romney dodges the tax issue (newsday.com)
- Harry Reid: Says Mitt Romney did not pay taxes for 10 years. (politifact.com)